Fáilte go hÁrainn
Official Guide to the Aran Islands

Leachtaí Cuimhneacháin (Stone Memorials for Dead)

These large cenotaphs( Leachtaí Cuimhneacháin) are to be found throughout Inis Mór and are a definite curiousity for the visitor. Most are situated along the roadside between Cill Éinne and Eoghanacht and date from the 19th century c. 1811-1886. The oldest three however dating from the early 1700s are found inland at Cill Éinne. The cenotaphs are erected as memorials to certain families among them; the Fitzpatricks, Mc Donaghs, Dirranes, Wiggans, Mullens, Gills, O Donnells, Naughtons, Conneelys, Hernons, and Folens. The inscriptions on them are written in English. Local Lore has it quite erroneously that they are the graves of people who were buried standing upright! Leacht na nIascaire( The Memorial to the Fishermen)
This overlooks Cill Éinne bay and is situated on the northern-shore side of the road at the village of Cill Éinne. It is a modern cenotaph built by the islanders in 1997 and dedicated to all who have drowned at sea. There are extensive names on it dating from the early 19th century. Each year on August 15th there is a memorial service at it for those who lost their lives at sea.


Túr Mháirtín

Located in the village of Iar- Áirne in the extreme eastern tip of the island this is a small dry …


Dún Eoghanachta

This fort is found in the western head of the island in the townland of Eoghanacht south of the village …


Dún Eochla

This fort is found in the middle of the island south of the village of Eochaill from which it gets its name. Eochaill meaning Yew wood. The fort is circular and consists of two terraced walls. Exact dates are not known but it is thought to be somewhat later than Dún Aonghasa possibly late Iron Age. It is easily accessed from the main road. Nearby are the remains of an early nineteenth century Light House which while on the highest point of the island was too badly placed to ever have been of any effective use.


Dún Dúchathair ( the Black fort)

This fort is situated on the cliffs at Cill Éinne, (Killeany )Inis Mór. Some visitors enjoy the solitude of it in contrast with the busyness of Dún Aonghasa. The fort consists of a terraced wall surrounding the remains of some early dwelling houses known as Clocháns( stone houses). Excavations have not been out carried yet so exact dates cannot be given but it is thought to be possibly contemporary with Dún Aonghasa. It is understood that the name the Black Fort comes from the dark coloured limestone which is characteristic of this particular area on the island.